Media Alert May 24, 2019 Contact Information: Kym Graves, Project Information Officer [email protected] 813-613-2306
WORK TO CEASE ON THE SELMON EXTENSION PROJECT OVER MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
On Friday, May 24, 2019, Selmon Extension construction crews will temporarily suspend all construction for the Memorial Day holiday weekend. There will be no lane closures or any other impacts on the traveling public. Normal construction operations will resume on Tuesday, May 28, 2019. As always please remember to obey the speed limit and do not drink and drive.
SELMON EXTENSION CONSTRUCTION ALERTS WEEK OF MAY 28-31, 2019
- On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, crews will temporarily close the left-turn lane in the median in front of the Gandy Plaza located on 4707 W. Gandy Boulevard for one to two weeks starting at 9 pm. The temporary closure is for safety reasons. Drivers can utilize the U-turn at Trask Street or S. Manhattan Avenue to gain access to the plaza. The entrance to the plaza will not be blocked during this time.
- On Thursday, May 30 and Friday, May 31, 2019, Selmon Extension construction crews will temporarily shut down portions of Gandy Boulevard in both directions between Dale Mabry Highway and Church Street for overhead bridge work. The temporary shutdown will occur both days between 9 pm and 6 am. Drivers will need to detour at Dale Mabry Highway, Interbay or Westshore Boulevard.
- Westshore/Gandy Boulevard intersection; Both sides: underground utility work will occur at night; lanes have been narrowed approaching the intersection. Southside: New lane configuration; straight-thru/right-turn lanes have been combined into one lane.
- New traffic configuration for the entrance to the westbound Gandy Boulevard ramp. Drivers should reduce speed while approaching the off-ramp.
- Traffic pattern remains in place for the Selmon Expressway’s exit to eastbound Gandy Boulevard.
- The short merge still exists on eastbound Gandy between the CSX railroad tracks and Dale Mabry Highway at the entrance to the Selmon Expressway. As an alternative, turn left (north) on Dale Mabry Highway and access the Selmon Expressway ramp, located just behind Target.
- The sidewalk is closed along eastbound Gandy Boulevard between the Dale Mabry Highway interchange and Lois Avenue. Pedestrians walking in the area should use the sidewalk on the north side of Gandy Boulevard. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians.
- The sidewalk is closed on northbound Dale Mabry Highway between the Selmon Expressway overpass and the railroad tracks. Pedestrians walking on Dale Mabry will need to use the sidewalk on the west side of Dale Mabry. Detour signs are posted to alert pedestrians.
- One lane on both eastbound and westbound Gandy Boulevard between Westshore Boulevard and the Gandy Bridge will be closed each night between 9 pm and 6 am.
In an effort to keep the construction crews and the traveling public safe, we want to remind motorists that the posted construction speed limit is 45 miles per hour. Speed enforcement will be in place in the signed construction zones. The fine for speeding in a construction zone is double the amount of a regular ticket.