Media Alert May 29, 2020 Contact Information: Kym Graves, Project Information Officer [email protected] 813-613-2306
NEW TRAFFIC PATTERN CHANGE NEXT WEEK FOR WESTSHORE/GANDY BOULEVARD INTERSECTION
Beginning on Monday, June 1, 2020, crews will implement a slight traffic pattern change on the northside of the Westshore/Gandy Boulevard intersection, weather permitting. Drivers making a left-turn lane onto Gandy or continuing south onto Westshore will share the same lane. The dedicated right-turn lane will remain as is. On the south side of the intersection, traffic lanes will shift to the west, as crews begin the water main work. Both temporary traffic patterns will last roughly three to four months.
SELMON EXTENSION CONSTRUCTION ALERTS WEEK OF MAY 30 – JUNE 5, 2020
- Temporary sidewalk closure along northbound Westshore Boulevard between Infinity Westshore and W. Fielder Street.
- The median left-turn lane remains temporarily closed in front of the West Gandy Plaza.
- Sidewalk and crosswalk closure (between Westshore Office Center and Circle K) along the west side of Westshore Boulevard.
- A yield sign remains in place at the bottom off-ramp onto westbound Gandy from the Expressway.
- Sidewalk closure along eastbound Gandy between the Dale Mabry Highway interchange and Lois Avenue.
- Sidewalk closure on northbound Dale Mabry Highway between the Expressway overpass and the railroad tracks. Pedestrians will need to use crosswalks at Gandy or at Britton Plaza as a detour.
As a reminder, the project team is currently re-evaluating when to implement periodic alternating inside lane closures between the Westshore/Gandy intersection and Manhattan Avenue. We continue to monitor the traffic and want to make sure that our lane closures help us, but do not cause huge traffic backups.
When we close the inside lanes on Gandy Boulevard, drivers won’t necessarily see any workers present. That’s because they’re working inside the concrete segments above the traffic. Lane closures are needed to ensure the safety of the traveling public as well as the construction workers.