Schools across Tampa Bay resume in-person classes by the end of August and that means more traffic on the roadways. The Selmon Extension team wants drivers to always use caution and don’t speed in the work zones. A few precautions go a long way toward keeping children and construction workers safe:
- Avoid distracted driving.
- Slow down and drive extra cautiously.
- Don’t load or unload children across the street from the school.
- Don’t double park; it blocks visibility for other children and vehicles.
- When flashers are blinking, stop and yield to pedestrians crossing the crosswalk or intersection.
- Be on the lookout for school zone signals and always obey the speed limits.
- It is illegal to pass a school bus when red or amber warning lights are flashing. By law, you must remain stopped until all people are clear of the roadway and the bus is in motion.